In the summer of 2010 I thought it might be fun to start making a video at the end of each month to keep track of what I was working on, if only to have an excuse to ramble about whatever was on my mind while messing around with stuffed animals and bathtub puppets. Seemed like a good opportunity to teach myself about video editing, too.
Actually, that’s a half-truth. I thought about doing this sort of thing as early as 2003. It just took me a very long time to get around to turning thought into action.
In the beginning, the videos were rough. There were some pretty violent volume discrepancies and the editing was choppy. I started to get the hang of things and evened out the audio issues pretty quick. A few videos in, I got the idea to chop up bits of old public domain films to break up the talking and have some fun with warping context. It’s funny what you can do with a tiny $200 video camera and free editing software — though by the time I was working on the fifth progress report I’d upgraded to some good-and-proper video editing software, since the free stuff was no longer compatible with my computer’s operating system.
After about a year I started missing the odd month when it didn’t feel like I had enough to say to flesh out a worthwhile progress report. Around the two-year mark I just stopped making them altogether.
There’s a really hefty video in the pipeline for 2018 that should make up for all the lost time. Once that’s out of the way, I’d like to get back into making a video progress report at least every few months, if I can motivate myself to be consistent with it again. These days I figure that’s more realistic than making one every single month.
The most recent progress report is always at the top of this page (and then again, in proper chronological sequence, at the bottom). The original posts these videos were attached to can be found here.